STEP ONE SCHOOL
TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT PLAN
The goal of Step One School’s Operational Traffic Management Plan (TMP) is to aptly address issues of traffic and parking involving the school and its immediate surroundings. Our Step One for Street Safety (SOSS) Committee, is responsible for implementing and monitoring the TMP. SOSS holds quarterly informational tailgates for the parents/caregivers at the school.
The City of Berkeley’s Transportation Division of the Dept of Public Works requires that the Step One community abides by this Operational Traffic Management Plan.
Drop-Off and Pick Up
- Step One families living in the immediate neighborhood are expected to walk or bike to the school.
- Parents/caregivers must sign the children in and out daily (state licensing agency requirement) so arriving in autos requires parking on the street.
- Parents/Caregivers are asked to prioritize parking in the Blue Zones on the attached map.
- Blue Zone: priority parking for parents/caregivers. If no spaces in the Blue Zones are available, parents/caregivers are asked to park in the Yellow Zones, and to limit their time spent in those spaces to 15 minutes maximum.
- Step One staff are asked not to park in blue or yellow marked zones or directly in front of neighborhood residences.
- Avoid parking too close to neighbors’ driveways (allow 3 feet).
No parking at intersections or in crosswalks.
Traffic Safety and Circulation
- Do not block driveways, or use them to turn around.
- No u-turns at Michigan or Vassar Streets.
- Do not let children exit from autos on the traffic side.
- Before stepping into the crosswalks, hold hands and make sure drivers see you and prepare to stop.
Transportation Demand Management
- Step One has a goal to increase the number of non-auto trips to and from the school daily, and to achieve a total of 20 such trips daily by 2020.
- In the 2018-19 school year, Step One will incentivize carpooling among families and staff by offering to regular carpooling families a monthly lottery, with the winner receiving two (2) fulfilled parent hours.
- Step One’s enrollment policy is to give some priority to families who live in the immediate neighborhood, thus reducing the number of vehicles parking in the area around the school.
- During Step One construction in the 2018-19 school year, the contractors’ employees will park off-site and ride in one vehicle to a spot near the school.
- The school will also offer one (1) parent volunteer hour per month to those parents who regularly transport their children by bicycle.
Implementing Street Safety Measures
- The SOSS Committee’s street safety brochure will be distributed to families prior to each school year, and it is available on the school’s website.
- In the 2018-19 school year, adults/caregivers will fill out a form which 1) lists the license plate numbers of autos regularly used to pick up and drop off children, and 2) includes a sign off that they have read the Parking and Traffic rules and agree to abide by them.
- In the school’s 12-month calendar year, there are 5 all-school events/meetings, held in September, October, November, December and Spring. Parents are encouraged to carpool to these events or use a local ride service.
CLICK HERE to view our TMP map.
The responsible party and contact person regarding the plan’s content is:
510-527-9021 ext 13