Parent involvement is not only a critical piece of Step One’s success, but a welcome one! We love finding ways to interact with the parent community and connecting parents with experiences that engage and inspire them as well. There are a variety of ways to get involved from work on a committee or our Board of Trustees, to grocery shopping or errand running, special event assistance or time in the classroom.
Classroom Opportunities – Once children are settled in to their classrooms, teachers encourage family volunteers throughout the day. In the past, parents and other family members have shared activities or food from their own cultures, crafts, and musical performances. In the Transitional Kindergarten class, this is a terrific opportunity to help with weekly journals or with activities at each work station.
Volunteer Hours – We encourage parents to actively participate in their child’s school experience. Each family is asked to contribute a minimum number of volunteer hours every year.
The following list offers some possible suggestions for parent involvement opportunities:
- Volunteering in the classroom
- Participating in field trips
- Assisting with special family programs and activities
- Sharing knowledge, experiences, and careers with the children
- Sharing any other interests or talents with the children, such as playing a musical instrument or doing a special crafts project
- Assisting with classroom laundry and toy washing
- Joining one of our committees
- Helping with a special event
Board – As a 501c3 non-profit organization, Step One School is governed by a Board of Trustees. This group of passionate individuals includes current and alumni parents, teacher and administrative representatives, and sometimes Step One alumnae! As the Board of Trustees, this group works together on ensuring the future of the school from creating and overseeing the school’s by-laws and Strategic Plan, to planning and implementing the annual budget and working on the future goals of the organization, both inside and outside the classroom.